The Worldwide Olympic Committee stated on Tuesday it was not the time for “drastic choices” over the staging of the Tokyo Olympics, which has not but been postponed due to the lethal coronavirus pandemic. “The IOC stays absolutely dedicated to the Olympic Video games Tokyo 2020, and with greater than 4 months to go earlier than the Video games there isn’t a want for any drastic choices at this stage; and any hypothesis at this second could be counter-productive,” the IOC stated in an announcement after its government board met in Lausanne.
The Tokyo Olympics are scheduled to run between July 24-August 9, however the 12 months’s largest sporting occasion is as but one of many sole sporting competitions to have survived a postponement within the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak that has precipitated greater than 7,400 deaths and contaminated greater than 180,000 around the globe.
US President Donald Trump has instructed the Japanese capital additionally postpone the Olympics for 12 months, though Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe responded by pledging his nation would host the Video games as deliberate and saying he had no instant intention to declare a state of emergency over the virus outbreak.
“That is an unprecedented state of affairs for the entire world, and our ideas are with all these affected by this disaster,” the IOC stated.
IOC president Thomas Bach added: “The well being and well-being of all these concerned within the preparations for the Olympic Video games Tokyo 2020 is our number-one concern.
“All measures are being taken to safeguard the protection and pursuits of athletes, coaches and help groups. We’re an Olympic neighborhood; we help each other in good occasions and in tough occasions. This Olympic solidarity defines us as a neighborhood.”
The IOC acknowledged preparations for the Tokyo Video games had been impacted, and inspired all athletes to proceed coaching “as greatest they’ll”.
“The IOC has confidence that the numerous measures being taken by many authorities around the globe will assist comprise the state of affairs of the COVID-19 virus.”
One of many outcomes of the virus outbreak has been the cancellation of qualifiers, in quite a lot of sports activities, for the Tokyo Olympics.
However the IOC insisted it could work to surmount any difficulties that threw up.
“To this point, 57 % of the athletes are already certified for the Video games,” it stated. “For the remaining 43 % of locations, the IOC will work with the IFs (worldwide federations) to make any obligatory and sensible diversifications to their respective qualification programs for Tokyo 2020.”
The IOC vowed to “proceed to behave in a accountable means and have agreed the next overriding rules in regards to the staging of the Olympic Video games Tokyo 2020:
“1. To guard the well being of everybody concerned and to help the containment of the virus. 2. To safeguard the pursuits of the athletes and of Olympic sport.”
The IOC will proceed to observe the state of affairs 24/7. Already in mid-February, a process drive was arrange .
The physique added any resolution it takes on the staging of the Video games “is not going to be decided by monetary pursuits, as a result of due to its threat administration insurance policies and insurance coverage it can in any case be capable of proceed its operations and achieve its mission to organise the Olympic Video games”.
A taskforce (consisting of the IOC, the World Well being Organisation, the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee, the Japanese authorities and the Tokyo Metropolitan Authorities) was created in mid-February to make sure “coordinated actions by all stakeholders” and supply steering the IOC stated it could comply with.
Already, the format of all of the check occasions in March and April in Japan has been “altered to permit for the testing of important Video games components”.
“The lighting of the Olympic torch in Greece and subsequent components of the Torch Relay in Japan are being tailored, the whole Video games preparation provide chain has been analysed, and different plans are in place within the occasion of anticipated disruption,” the IOC stated.